Re: [LUG] Fwd: Microsoft scam man is sentenced

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:25:39 +0000
Martijn Grooten <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martijn,

>differently, but I somehow can't imagine someone deciding that the risk
>of killing someone is worth taking, but the risk of killing someone and
>being sent to prison isn't.

I know you're trying to make a point but anyway....

Drivers (well, very, very few) make that sort of decision.  They knock
down cyclists, or pedestrians, through being inattentive, not through
malice.

What truly irks me is the hit and run case, where the driver's defense
in court is "I didn't know I'd hit them"(1).  Having hit both pheasants
and a badger(2)(3) whilst driving I can state categorically, in a head
on collision there is no way in hell you could not know you'd hit a
person.

(1) Even worse, the defense is accepted and charges of death by
dangerous driving are dismissed.

(2) Much to my embarrassment.

(3) Lots of single track roads where I live and even at low driving
speeds (sub 30mph) these creatures can appear very quickly from
hedgerows.

--
 Regards  _
Sign away your life