Re: [LUG] Vigor 2130n strange behaviour

The two Hungarians on LAN 2 & 3 have the same restricted settings, Gavin and myself have trust. Is that good enough reason for you BA

Thanks for reminding me about subnets, new about it but until now never needed it. Cheers

On 30 Mar 2014 21:08, "bad apple" <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 30/03/14 20:35, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> What if they're setup individually then they swap codes, the idea is
> that I have complete control and that each person on the LAN is safe
> from one and other.

Ah yes, of course, these are your annoying housemates who don't seem to
think they have to follow your rules whilst using your network... With
users like that, you've got a whole different set of problems to deal with.

However, if they're going to go ahead and swap their wifi credentials
over, don't you think they're also going to be smart enough to google
MAC changing and swap their 12 digit hexadecimal codes as well? Howtos
are literally all over the internet and the (free) tools are available
everywhere. For the last time, MACs aren't useful for security no matter
how you try to frame the argument.

As for how to deal with the morons if they still won't follow your rules
whilst on your network? Well, I'd use the following in rapidly
escalating priority:

1: Upsidedown-ternet*
2: MITM proxy + SSL strip to swipe their Facebook/Twitter/etc
credentials followed by using their credentials to post "I am a dick who
thinks messing with my network admin is a good idea LOL" messages to all
of their friends
3: Complete and permanent disconnection from my network

In your situation quite frankly I'd be tempted to immediately implement
1-3 and follow up with:

4: Go to their rooms and physically smack some sense into them

Admittedly, my approach to network administration might seem a little
BOFH-like or harsh - however, I assure you it's always been 100%
effective and nobody ever, ever messes with me or my networks (from the
inside at least - I have a different set of tools for the legions of
script kiddies and Chinese brute force SSH attacks, etc, who live on the
outside of my networks).

I would be a lot less tolerant of tossers abusing your trust, your
rules, your resources and your internet connection personally. Give them
hell!

Cheers

*http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html