Re: [LUG] Bit of a wave building

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 02:09:03PM +0000, bad apple wrote:
> A direct quote from the second link:
>
> "Thanks to Edward Snowden, it is now established that intelligence
> agencies modify hardware (computers, routers, firewalls, etc) and
> software (Microsoft Windows, probably all Apple operating systems,
> probably one GNU-Linux distribution, etc)"

Put like this, it smells like FUD. I don't remember seeing any Snowden
leak that showed that intelligence agencies modify hardware or software
during the process of manufacturing or writing respectively - so before
it is being sold.

What various leaks have revealed is that the NSA and others are able to
hack into just about any device, using vulnerabilities in hardware and
software. This is bad, but shouldn't be surprising. Firstly, because
hardware and software tends to be vulnerable. Which means that if you
have enough money and thus enough skills, you can exploit these
vulnerabilities to break into the devices.

And secondly because this is kind of what the NSA (or at least its
offensive part) is set up to do: spy on the communication of (potential)
enemies. Now some people (myself included) will argue that it's still
bad, but it's likely that they would have gotten away with this if they
hadn't been spying on just about anyone.

As for the petition, I am not unsympathetic towards it.* But they make
it sound as if intelligence agencies can break into some devices, but
not into others and that we can thus protect ourselves better against
them if only we are able to choose the software that runs on the
devices we purchase.

* actually, I think there's nothing wrong in principle with bundled
sales. It's just that in the case of the PC market, one particular
software package has obtained a more than healthy marketshare. And
that's not good.

Martijn.