Re: [LUG] Bit of a wave building

On 25/03/14 09:52, Philip Hudson wrote:
> To Hell With Non-Free Software | Robert Pogson
> http://mrpogson.com/2014/03/24/to-hell-with-non-free-software/
>
> Computers in the post-Snowden era: choose before paying!
> https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/computers_snowden_choose_before_paying/

A direct quote from the second link:

"Thanks to Edward Snowden, it is now established that intelligence
agencies modify hardware (computers, routers, firewalls, etc) and
software (Microsoft Windows, probably all Apple operating systems,
probably one GNU-Linux distribution, etc)"

I wonder which Linux distro he's carefully not mentioning by name? I'd
like to see his source for this as well. Don't think I'd disagree with
him about the rest of his statement though, as accusatory as it seems.

I would guess he's carefully not saying *cough* RedHat *cough*. But if
you're pointing your finger at them, SuSE and even more likely Oracle
are surely going to be just as suspicious... And whilst Canonical may
have their head office in London, their American subsidiary is the
largest part of their operation so either way they're truly under the
thumb of the UK/US legal regime as well.

OpenBSD is the only remaining operating system I trust implicitly.

Regards