Re: [LUG] Nvidia on Debian Testing

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:15:34PM +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Keith Abraham <keith.abraham8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 09:28:06PM +0000, bad apple wrote:
> > >

> > Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520] X.Org: 1.15.0 driver:
> > nvidia Resolution: 1680x1050@xxxxxx
> >            GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0
> > NVIDIA 331.49
> >
> > I have no problems here with the above using Debian unstable on my
> > personal gear.
> >
> > Just a thought. Before you lash out money for a new motherboard did
> > you remember to install the appropriate kernel headers to build the
> > nvidia module?
> >
> > I can highly recommend the following pages from the siduction manual
> > for Nvidia cards
> >
> > http://manual.siduction.org/gpu#nvidia
> >
> > Keith
>

> There has been quite a lot on this topic which makes me wonder why.
>
> That is, if nvidia cards cause so much trouble for Linux users, why not
> stick with Intel graphics, or any others that work? Why have nvidia
> graphics at all? Now I realise that there must be a good reason, just
> wondering what it is. Please excuse my ignorance,

For what its worth, I will certainly look at the kernel headers (thanks for
the tip) but I spent many hours on Saturday trying to sort out the system.

My feeling is summed up by Neil. If I can avoid the problem by sticking to
a default debian system that just ran; the happier I would be.

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately