Re: [LUG] Extract historical time to apply security updates

On 09/03/14 00:16, bad apple wrote:

> As for your question, I'm not quite sure what you mean - are you just
> wondering if anyone has done any in-house analysis of how long passes
> between the vendor fix being released and it actually being installed on
> the machines?

Yes. If Debian releases an update for packageX on January 9th, and it
was installed on January 16th, I was after a script that says "packageX
7 days" (and repeats for all packages). Firmware can wait for the moment...

So I can produce a metrics for the machines (median, or average, or
range - whatever). Ultimately I subscribe to the you need numbers to
manage philosophy. You can just do the "right thing" and rely on system
admin discretion when small, or just automate, but at current trends
that could become insane very quickly.