Re: [LUG] Freeing up my Nexus 7

www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk
On 1.03.2014 10:28, Tom wrote:
On 01/03/14 08:22, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, Tremayne, Steve wrote:

OK, LPIC question aside...

I've just given in to family pressure and bought a "tablet" for sofa surfing (even though I'm building another MythTV box which can do it anyway...) ... but the ambient temperature of hell would have to reach absolute zero before I gave money to Apple :o)

So, I got a Nexus... and the first thing it wants to do is lock me in to the googlesphere... right then (I think), time to break free

So, I've heard of CyanogenMod and F-Droid, but before I get too heavily involved (or brick it!), I thought I'd ask if anyone has any recommendations about freeing up "my" (not google's) device?

OK... I'll bite... ou're just bought a device that Google helped to develop the software for and now you want to escape google...

OK - that's your right to do so, you do own the device afterall, but why?

I went through this with my current google phone - and it is a Google phone - Nexus 5.

So what do I have to give google in return.. There's some personal details, but you need to give those to anyone these days if you buy something online, but the real data stream is when you're using it. Google has a copy of my contacts - which from my point of view is convenient as I can see them on other Android devices and via their web interface. I think I can turn this off on the device.

Google wants to know where I am - some of the time. I can turn it off. In return for this, Google uses the data to improve location accuracy for everyone else. (Wi-Fi and cell information)

Google know what "apps" I download via their app store - which I can see on other android devices and via the web on my desktop.

They also have a copy of my calendar - which I can see on other devices.

There may be other stuff that google keeps track of that I've forgotten about, or am not aware of.

So... For that I get a really cool phone, at a good price (£299), Google backs up my contacts and calendar. I could use "G Drive" and backup my photos, but I do that via another way.

You can turn off location sending in apps - e.g. firefox, twitter, etc.

Google is trying to get me into G+ but I'm resisting by simply ignoring it.

I have dumped hangouts though - gone for the sms client in CM which is advert free.

And you know what... I'm getting to really like it. Googles voice recognition works well too and I'll have G-Wallet soon and be able to use the NFC facilities the phone has for small payments. (well, so they promise)

So why not just give it a go?

If you're woried about stuff like google handing the data over to the various TLAs (and eTLAs) then there's nothing to wory about. They have the data already.

The real evil place IMO is the apps that you'll want to download - and they are the same no matter what OS you're running. Facebook now wants access to your contacts for example (I don't use FB, but the advice seems to be to stick to the web version!) Just watch for apps that seem to want access to stuff you think they shouldn't need access to...

Gordon

Cheers Gordon - that's exactly why I'd go Linux.
Tom te tom te tom

yeah really! if you want a brick, buy a brick. Why get a nexus and then use none of the very useful functionality. Far as I know if you don't put in a gmail address and switch off all the location stuff you're as identityless as it's possible to be with a mobile internet connected device - ie not very! A Tesco Hudle (a fine gizmo by most accounts) should do you fine.

The location stuff, contacts backup is vital to me. I can navigate around unknown cities where I don't speak the language, I can use translate and have it remember the most common phrases, my contacts will never be lost, it makes helpful suggestions - "heavy traffic on Bld Evilogi Georgevi, allow 10 minutes extra to get to work". I can brick the phone if it gets lost or nicked, even see that its been in the same place for 8 hours, so maybe its under the table in that bar I visited and not in the hands of some crim.

If I wipe the device to root it I stick in my gmail address and all data and apps come back, wonderful!

I have this idea that tech stuff is supposed to enhance life and make it easier - naive I know. But I can't see that sticking an alpha version of ubuntu phone on a fabulous and really useful device would do anything to improve existence (when ubuntu phone actually becomes useful I imagine you'll refuse to use it because Cannonical will know too much about you).

Course you could stick it in a filing cabinet in the basement and hang a sign saying "beware of the leopard" on the door.

OK, end of rant.