Re: [LUG] SMTP Puzzle

On 03/03/14 15:41, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 08:24:16 +0000
Martin Gautier <martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 03/03/14 08:15, Neil Winchurst wrote:
My daughter is set up with Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Until recently she has
had no problems with emails. I have set her up with Thunderbird
using IMAP. Sometimes she gets an error message when sending an
email. This is asking for the SMTP server to be set up with
authentication. Most of her emails are sent without any problem.

I have done some research and I suspect that some email accounts are
set up to refuse to accept an email if there is no authentication.
This is probably meant to be a way to avoid spam.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? At the moment her SMTP
server is set up to use port 25 without any authentication. Would
it be a sensible move to change that? I note that the suggested
port is 587. As I understand it that port is meant to be using
STARTTLS.

Any help gratefully received,

Neil

Neil

Who is hosting the SMTP service? What credentials do they recommend?

Martin

Not sure, but I think it is BT. Will check it out with her.

Neil

Neil

SMTP through a BT Internet broadband connection can work with port 25 and no authentication.

The service can work through port 587 with authentication.

I'd advise avoiding using BT servers completely, perhaps using the free services of www.Mailjet.com...

Martin