[LUG] SMTP Puzzle

My daughter is set up with Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Until recently she has
had no problems with emails. I have set her up with Thunderbird using
IMAP. Sometimes she gets an error message when sending an email.
This is asking for the SMTP server to be set up with authentication.
Most of her emails are sent without any problem.

I have done some research and I suspect that some email accounts are
set up to refuse to accept an email if there is no authentication. This
is probably meant to be a way to avoid spam.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? At the moment her SMTP server is
set up to use port 25 without any authentication. Would it be a
sensible move to change that? I note that the suggested port is 587. As
I understand it that port is meant to be using STARTTLS.

Any help gratefully received,

Neil