Re: [LUG] installing wireless drivers on debian 7.4 - fixed sort of

On 02/03/14 21:18, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to get the wireless working on my netbook,  just installed
> debian 7.4 net install (via ethernet) and need to get the wireless
> device working
>
> according to lspci this is
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g
> LP-PHY (rev 01)
>
> Using this page as a guide
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/11/msg00110.html
>
> aptitude install module-assistant wireless-tools
> m-a a-i broadcom-sta
> modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb brcmsmac
> modprobe wl
> iwconfig
>
> if I enter this at the command line
> m-a a-i broadcom-sta
>
> i get the following
> broadcom-sta, Whatis broadcom sta.
>
> I am simply trying to follow the instructions,  so the above output is not really
> helpful,
>
> can anyone help please.
>
> Note it works fine under Lubuntu, so the drivers are out there,  just how to
> install them on debian,
>
> if I need to enable non free repositories how do I do this,  ?
>
> this is a very minimal install (which is what I want) I am going to install JUST
> what I need,  gnome is the normal default gui system but its far too bloated, and
> has too much of stuff I don't want or will never use, its easier to
> start with minimal and build up.
>
> thanks
>
> Paul

Ok enabled non free repositories

http://serverfault.com/questions/240920/how-do-i-enable-non-free-packages-on-debian

ifconfig now displays for wlan0 but gives no IP address.,  but at least
it knows the wireless interface is there.

Paul

web : http://www.zleap.net
twitter : @zleap14

Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam,  8th March 2014 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.