Re: [LUG] Freeing up my Nexus 7

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 14:50:28 +0000, "Tremayne, Steve"
<steven.tremayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>OK, LPIC question aside...
>
>I've just given in to family pressure and bought a "tablet" for sofa
>surfing (even though I'm building another MythTV box which can do it
>anyway...) ... but the ambient temperature of hell would have to reach
>absolute zero before I gave money to Apple :o)
>
>So, I got a Nexus... and the first thing it wants to do is lock me in
>to the googlesphere... right then (I think), time to break free
>
>So, I've heard of CyanogenMod and F-Droid, but before I get too
>heavily involved (or brick it!), I thought I'd ask if anyone has any
>recommendations about freeing up "my" (not google's) device?

I have an original Nexus 7 and due mostly to laziness I have never got
around to installing Cyanogenmod. All I did was to root it and install
Titanium Backup. I then use Titanium to "freeze" all the Google apps
that I don't need (pretty well everything apart from Search). Those
frozen apps then don't appear in the app drawer and cannot be run but
they are easy to unfreeze if you decide you need them.

Kevin