[LUG] Freeing up my Nexus 7

OK, LPIC question aside…

I’ve just given in to family pressure and bought a “tablet” for sofa surfing (even though I’m building another MythTV box which can do it anyway…) … but the ambient temperature of hell would have to reach absolute zero before I gave money to Apple :o)

So, I got a Nexus… and the first thing it wants to do is lock me in to the googlesphere… right then (I think), time to break free

So, I’ve heard of CyanogenMod and F-Droid, but before I get too heavily involved (or brick it!), I thought I’d ask if anyone has any recommendations about freeing up “my” (not google’s) device?

TIA

Steve