Re: [LUG] LPIC qualifications

On 28/02/14 12:35, Simon Avery wrote:
> On 28 February 2014 11:27, Tremayne, Steve
> <steven.tremayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:steven.tremayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
> wrote:
>
>     So, my question is – does anyone give any weight to an LPIC
>     qualifications?
>

> I'm not the best source of knowledge, but I don't think so. For a
> better view, perhaps look at the adverts for what you want to do and
> see how your qualifications and skills compare.
>
> Personally, my fairly small view is that experience is what matters in
> linux related jobs. If you can cite real world examples, be conversant
> with the main technologies for your sector and be confident in your
> ability in both CV and interview, you'll stand a chance. Many adverts
> cite "Must have X years experience of Perl/Php/Python/SQL/Oracle etc"
> and if you can back that up, it helps.
>
> Chicken and egg, of course, but experience also comes from
> non-professional jobs, such as helping with open source, community
> projects and other things.

You may be surprised how doing what may seem as small things can lead to
other opportunities, I am now helping with an after school club as a
result of running a coding group at Parkfield, (granted this has
migrated to Minecraft) but the group after school is coding, hardware
etc ,I am also part of a technicians network in Torbay.

Word gets out, people take interest and opportunities come up.

I am helping with ToriOS as I was helping with Lubuntu documentation,
when ToriOS started I was invited to help out with that. So jump in to
OSS projects and help out, hang out on irc, forums , mailing lists, ask
and answer questions, you never know where that may lead.

Paui

web : http://www.zleap.net
twitter : @zleap14

Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam,  8th March 2014 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.