Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Empathy & Remote Desktop

On 27/02/14 12:02, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 26 February 2014 21:47, Martin Gautier <martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
get around the router firewall & port forwarding issues in the same way
Teamviewer does...

Are you refusing to use Teamviewer on principle? If so, an ssh-aware
VNC setup such as BA recommends is probably your best bet.

I use x11vnc as the VNC server on the remote host since it mirrors the
main X display, which is what you want for remote support of a desktop
machine, rather than creating a completely separate virtual X
desktop/environment/session as other VNC servers do.

I must admit that I use Teamviewer myself whenever I don't have admin
rights on the remote machine. Quick, easy, FAIB, only problem is poor
accessibility for low-vision/blind users.

I've no real issue with Teamviewer. I use it to support my windows based users.

In this case I thought it would be nice to use the native Ubuntu apps rather than introducing a Wine based system.

As pragmatic as ever - and since the machine in question is due for delivery - I've now reverted to Teamviewer (it just "works").

Something else to add to my list of stuff to research given some free time...

Curiously, there's not much on Google regarding my particular problem - so I'm either (not)doing something really dumb or no-one uses this particular method.

Martin