[LUG] VirtualBox 4.3.8 Issues

So, Oracle finally got around to updating VBox again and I was keen to
upgrade as some of my test VMs shadow bleeding edge distros like Rawhide
and Sid ship with Xorg server 1.15, which was unsupported in the
previous 4.3.6 release.

The good news is that now Xorg 1.15 is supported, but VBox is exhibiting
some weird crashy behaviour only on specific VMs (which are known good).
Even stranger, all my Windows, Solaris, BSD and the weirder exotic
flavours (OS/2, Minix, ReactOS, etc) all function as normal, it's only
certain Linux VMs that are crashing out, specifically Gentoo and
Slackware so far. There may be more, I have a *lot* of VMs to get
through testing.

In both cases they start fine, bootloader is reached, kernel crash
results immediately (in the VMs, not the host). Obviously I'm digging
through the logfiles and working on testing more exhaustively before I
start to gather up a bug report so I'm just wondering if anyone else has
run into this issue yet? I appreciate it's perhaps unlikely as the
suspect VBox upgrade was only released yesterday but if anyone else has
4.3.8 already installed on any host OS I'd certainly appreciate any info
from other users.

Just for the record, this is on an Ubuntu 13.10 64bit physical host
machine running on a custom 3.12.4-pf-meowski+ kernel. I have at least
tried rebooting with a standard mainline Ubuntu kernel to see if my
kernel configuration shenanigans has caused the mischief but the
behaviour is identical there too.

"ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005)" seems to be the guilty
party from the VBox logs but google doesn't have any answers in this
case - the fault has come up before historically but scanning through
the different forum threads it seems that people with this error had
other issues (failing RAM, broken HDD) and were chiefly running on
Windows hosts which is not something I am stupid enough to do.

Any damage reports from other VBox users would be appreciated.

Regards