Re: [LUG] OT kindle app

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:16:44 +0000
Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

>But then I couldnt buy books for me could I?

I think Daniel was suggesting opening a *new* account.  How does that
stop you using your existing account?

However, to answer you original question (Can I stop my daughter or her
friends spending on my card):  No.

I've opened current accounts for my kids(1) that have a debit card.  I
closely monitor the money in them, and the kids can't spend any more
than the account has in it.  The account has no overdraft facility.
Both their savings and current accounts are accessible online, and only
I have the passwords etc. so the kids can't move money from one to the
other.  If ever they want to buy something, they always check with me
first, just to be sure they've got enough money in their current
account.  I always tell them it's less that there is _actually_ in
there, so there's a buffer, should it be needed.  A sort of
self-regulated overdraft facility.  So far, and these account have both
been running about a year, it's not been necessary to 'bail them out',
as it were.

(1)  At the time I opened them, only one bank (HSBC) had the facility to
open current accounts with a debit card for kids under 16.  Even then,
they had to be at least 11 before they could have the debit card.

--
 Regards  _
I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating