Re: [LUG] OT: Windows XP

On 14/02/14 20:31, bad apple wrote:
> On 14/02/14 18:33, Mark Evans wrote:
>
>> The obvious irony is that going from Windows XP to a Linux distribution
>> may be less of a change than Windows XP to Windows 8.
>

> I'm not sure why this myth persists so pervasively: install Classic
> Shell, disable hot corners and check "boot to desktop" option. Takes 1

Hardly a "myth" when it requires several configuration changes. The
first of which is to install a third party utility.

> minute and instantly makes Win8.1 indistinguishable from XP/Vista/7

XP, Vista and 7 ALL differ in their user interfaces. With it being the
subtle and "minor" differences which are most likely to trip users up.

> complete with Start Menu. Win8/8.1 has many under-the-hood changes that
> makes it vastly superior to XP/Vista and slightly superior to 7, which
> was already pretty decent.

Because of Microsoft's deliberate blurring of "user" and "admin" so
called "under-the-hood changes" can impact end users. If such changes
break applications which need to run on the machine then "vastly
superior" is hardly a sensible description. (Even if this was the case
from a purely "software engineering" viewpoint.)
Also XP is not Vista. Some of the things in Vista, such as networking,
have more in common with 7 than XP. IME networking in XP can be more
reliable, especially when combined with "sleeping" and "hibernating",
than that in newer Windows versions. (As well as bogus claims for lack
of Internet connectivity. YMMV.

> I know haters are gonna hate, but Win8.1 is by far the best desktop OS
> Microsoft have ever produced and it's trivial to completely ignore Metro
> - I'm no Microsoft fan but their flagship OS really doesn't deserve all
> the stick it's getting from morons who can't spend literally one minute
> of their time to configure it properly.

It's one minute for you. Considerably longer for someone who dosn't know
what changes to make or how to make then.

> The change to any Linux distribution is vastly more of a change, with
> users requiring at least some initial instruction. That being said,

IME this is the real myth.