Re: [LUG] Automount NAS delay on boot

On 05/02/14 00:09, Mike Grant wrote:
On 04/02/14 22:54, Julian Hall wrote:
Minor niggle, I just wondered if anyone could shed light on it.  I power
up my NAS - a Synology DS212J - before booting the PC, but although
Windows 7 on the same machine picks it up instantly on boot, Mint 15
takes about 30 seconds to mount it.  Obviously 30 seconds is no big deal
Thanks Mike..
A few possibilities to try:

  1. Sometimes these sort of delays are due to waiting for a DNS request
to time out.  For example, the Synology may be configured to
reverse-lookup IPs to DNS names for its logs and either has a duff DNS
server setting
Pointed at my ISP's DNS servers which are working OK.
or your DNS takes ages to fail to resolve a private IP
(192.168.0.2, for example).
  - try "host 192.168.0.3" to see how quickly it fails
Assuming you meant from my desktop and I'm not being a dipstick - entirely ossible - instant response.
  - tell the Synology not to reverse lookup IPs (bit lame, but might be easy)
  - if you run your own DNS (e.g. dnsmasq), fix it to resolve private IPs
internally to something legitimate; alternatively, some routers
(FritzBox) allow you to name IPs if you make their DHCP static, which
amounts to the same thing
Not running any DNS myself.

  2. the Mint box is trying NFSv4 before failing down to v3 (test by
adding "nfsvers=3" to your fstab options list or by doing the mount
manually with a -v to see what happens, e.g. something like "mount -v
192.168.0.3:/volume1/Hera /media/julian/HERA -o
users,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid")
-v takes about a second.
3. the Mint box is forced to wait for its network to come properly up
before doing the NFS mount and you don't notice this when not NFS
mounting.  This could be tricky to fix.
Thinking about it, I think the NAS supports SMB too, so I could try mounting it via SMB and see if there is an improvement, which would confirm if it's an NFS issue.

Cheers,

Julian