Re: [LUG] Time to upgrade your cabling!

On 27/01/14 12:11, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:55:48 +0000
Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

nowadays. I use mains cable. While you can show differences in
performance they are irrelevant to human beings and generally orders of
I beg to differ;  I changed my speaker cable from mains flex to low
oxygen cables, and immediately noticed a difference.  After the change,
the first CD I played (one I was very familiar with) had bass notes I'd
simply not heard before.

In 1969 Quad performed a double blind test on the best ears in the business. They used their old valve amps (2% distortion), the 33/303's (0.1% distortion)and 405 etc 0.001% - the golden ears could not reliably tell the difference. That was the last double blind test performed in the hifi industry that has been openly reported.
You will have installed your cables and  expected to hear a difference and been more attentive to the sound - you may also have heard more as bending down to connect the cables often clears the sinuses and eustation tubes which will improve your hearing.
If you had performed a double blind test the chances of you being able to statistically notice any difference due to a fractional change (if any) in the resistance of the connection between speaker and amp are pretty much zero. The circulation of air due to closing a door has orders of magnitude more effect on the sound.
Tom te tom te tom