Re: [LUG] OT, but can anyone help ?

Hi Mr Meowski,

No, it was AVG, the free version.
Thanks
for the tips.

A little more background. The machine is ex
our local Church,
and I installed a "virtual" Wurlitzer
theatre organ on it,
with the hope of running it from our
organ's MIDI socket.
Initial tests were looking good until
the hang on startup.
So after support ends on Win XP, it
will probably not see a
live internet connection again.

Regards etc,
Ray.

meowski@xxxxxxxx
>Date: 27/01/2014 14:00
>To: <list@dcglug.
org.uk>

27/01/14 13:32, raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi
All,

>> I have a vintage 2000 Dell desktop running XP
with
>> 500MB RAM.
>>
>> It used to work, but then I
installed some
>> anti-virus software,
>> and now it
doesn't. The obvious way
>> to fix it would be through

System Restore, but the problem
>> is it locks up before I
can log
>> in, so I never get as far
>> as logging in,
and thence to System
>> Restore.
>>
>> Has anyone

met this problem, and how did they fix it please ?

Thanks
>> in advance,
>> Ray Knowles.
>

>I'm a lot
less convinced than you are about System Restore... it's a

>menace, much better at destroying data than recovering
your computer and
>I've had a *lot* of experience with it.
Which is why it's the first
>thing I turn off in all of our
Windows builds.

>At the risk of sounding obvious, have
you tried Safe Boot (hammer F8
>during the initial boot
stage post-BIOS) and then logging in as Admin?

>Brilliantly, in Safe Mode several critical installation
services are
>disabled so you sometimes can't actually
uninstall things in Windows'
>intrinsic "repair mode".
>

>If you're sure about System Restore, just boot off a
suitable medium
>(i.e., your XP installer) to get the
machine up and then you can access
>the various Windows
repair/restore modes from there. BartPE or DaRT
>would both
be better options but you probably don't have those to
hand.

>With less than 3 months of XP support remaining,
surely it's time to
>just put a bullet in it anyway? To be
fair, if it's the vendor-supplied
>machine still running
the prehistoric and no longer supported software

>controlling your Â1m genetic sequencer or Â15m uranium
centrifuge,
>you're probably going to want to ignore me and
keep it running.
>Otherwise, migrate XP off via physical to
virtual transform and don't
>let it anywhere near the
internet ever again.

>I too would like to know which
crappy AV product managed to render your
>XP box
unbootable... McAfee, surely?