Re: [LUG] Ethernet over 100 metres

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:17:45 +0000, Mark Evans
<mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 21/01/14 16:51, Rob Beard wrote:

>> Fibre was considered but I'm not sure if it would be too fragile to
run.

> Whilst fibre patch leads might look a little flimsy the 4 or 8 core
> cable which is typically run between patch panels is probably at least
> as tough as CAT5. If you are still worried SWA fibre cable exists.

That SWA fibre stuff looks nice and tough.  I did wonder what BT use as
I've seen some recently hanging off a pole in Torquay, looks to be heavy
duty thick stuff.

So looking at fibre as an option, I'm a bit confused on the type of fibre
there are.

I've found this...

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/177-armoured-loose-tube-cable

...but I'm still not much clearer on it.  Never really got too involved
with fibre cabling or terminating it.  However reading one site it looks
like fibre would withstand the temperatures of minus 40 degrees to up to 85
degrees.

Rob