Re: [LUG] ZyXEL router attacks

On 14 Jan 2014, at 19:03, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 14/01/14 18:53, Tom wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/14/chinese_hackers_cripple_british_firms_internet_connections/
>>
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
> I don't suppose this would affect ZyXel Powerplugs?  I have a pair, but they are
> behind my network router, an Edimax.

It is listed a P600 and P660, these are cheap but perfectly adequate ADSL routers.
We used them because they were cheap but functional.

The workaround is disable external/remote management (which I think is a given for
ADSL routers).

What I find odd about the report, is that I see no chatter on the usual channels,
I'm quite well plugged in these days to a whole host of feeds but this one seems to
be just "the register" and people referencing them.

There were some other vulnerabilities in the remote management exploited on this kit
over the last umpteen years, but exposing remote management unless you need it falls
under "stupid" in my camp, and "especially stupid" in this case, although some
people may not know they or their IT provider is doing something stupid on their
behalf.