Re: [LUG] Ignoring Linux Mint Upgrade Advice

On 02/01/14 17:45, bad apple wrote:
On 02/01/14 12:26, Julian Hall wrote:

Cerce apt # sed -i 's/raring/saucy/g' sources.list sources.list.d/*.list
Cerce apt # sed -i 's/olivia/petra/g' sources.list sources.list.d/*.list
Cerce apt # apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

I know this is fixed now, but scanning through your transcript, the
reason it didn't work initially is because a step has been missed -
maybe my original instructions, but I think you accidentally just left
one command out.

After you upgraded your various *.list files to point at the new repos,
you jumped straight to "apt-get upgrade" without first running "apt-get
update", so your machine as yet hadn't resynced with the new destination
servers. After editing your repos, you should have done:

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
Doh.. I had printed the instructions off, and you're right somehow I missed step 4, updating after upgrading the .list files. My error not your instructions :)
Which would have triggered the upgrade immediately. Still, no harm done
obviously as a few moments later Mint ran the update in the background
via PolicyKit and you got the GUI message anyway.

Glad it worked out for you!

Slightly surprised to see you don't have any PPAs installed - am I the
only one who seems to have many extra PPAs/custom repos configured? Mint
+ Ubuntu definitely benefit from certain 3rd party repos in my experience.

ghost@failbot:~$ ls -alh /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list | wc -l
54

As for your fortunate and unexpected BR fix - thank god for that,
because that wasn't looking like something we were ever going to fix
remotely. Presuming it does carry on working reliably and it wasn't just
another lucky coincidence, I'd guess that somewhere in the upgrade was a
better hardware detection script, maybe an improved firmware package or
just that the newer kernel helped. Or maybe it was the new udev rules,
or the upstart scripts... it really could have been anything. Great news
it seems to be working though.
Thanks.. I'll keep you and the list informed whether it stays working.

Julian