Re: [LUG] In the Press

Martijn Grooten <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013, Simon Waters wrote:
Although he's wrong on the everything@domain

I'm been on the receiving end of bot nets doing precisely that many
times. Most obvious when diverse bits work through in alphabetical
order. Although most only went through Firstname@, although some tried
firstnamesurname@ and variations.

I did actually tell him that you will get emails for tom@ and john@ - even
if you've never given out these addresses. And I have also seen
someveryoddstring@ getting a fair amount of spam - I've always assumed
this was caused by someone increasing the quantity of a list of email
addresses by adding some fakes.

But I don't remember ever seeing (or hearing about) a botnet performing an
actual dictionary attack on a domain. It's just not worth it.

So if you use yourbank@youdomain, and you get spam sent to the address,
you can be certain there is a 'leak' somewhere.

Martijn.

That exact thing happened to me a few years ago with Alliance & Leicester which of course is now a part of Santander.

Kevin