Re: [LUG] SteamOS

On 14/12/13 19:41, bad apple wrote:
Hmm, the beta just got released today, and predictably I wanted to play
with it but there's no way I'm dedicating an entire machine, so I
figured out how to get it running in VBox instead.

Fortunately I don't need to write another entire tutorial: it was
actually pretty easy, and someone has already put up a bare bones one
here: https://gist.github.com/voltagex/7955961

It went pretty flawlessly: just make sure your VBox instance has EFI
support enabled (see, I told you in my Arch guide that you should just
get used to EFI - SteamOS actually requires it). I gave it two cores,
4Gb RAM and a 50Gb virtual disk and it's running fine, complete with
VBox extensions.

Just correct the tutorial's typo if you follow it: the command he meant
to write was "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", not "dpkg-reconfigure
xorg-xserver".

It's Debian Wheezy underneath as well, instead of the commonly
anticipated Ubuntu, which is a nice surprise.

Regards

smart! Cheers Bad. Played any decent games?

I have high hopes for SteamOS and its associated potential. Potential to bring linux to more of the masses - even if it ain’t floss itself it is, as you say, built on Wheezy........ year of the linux desktop?! ;-)

roly :-)