Re: [LUG] [WAS]: Mint 15 falsely claims / is full [BACK TO]: misbehaving DVD

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:34:03 +0000
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Julian,

>Here we go again.. one reboot later and the Pioneer has disappeared.

Oh dear.....

>As root I have tried the command you suggested Brad:
>echo 2000 > /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs
>Nothing happened, so I ejected the disk that was in there and put it
>back in.. still no reaction.

Without the references to /dev/sr0 (and all the other places that the
drive should be visible), it was a long shot, really.

>I've also just looked up the model number, BDR 207M - at least that's

IDK why I didn't think of doing that.

>visually, but it seems likely it /is/ SATA.

Assuming Mint is reporting the device correctly, yes, it's a SATA drive.
This, reluctantly, brings me back to thinking it's a hardware issue of
some sort.  Yes, I know the drive works in two other OSes, but even so:
Most hardware manufacturers work, to a greater or lesser degree, with
Microsoft to ensure their devices are recognised and perform correctly
within the Windows environment.  The same cannot be said of all
manufacturers with regard to Linux distros.  To be fair to the
manufacturers there are just far too many players in the Linux field,
with not all of them pulling in the same direction.  Maybe Windows has
some sort of workarounds that we just don't know about and the drive or
some other piece of hardware really is faulty.

As you've probably figured out, I'm reaching the limits of my knowledge
in this area, and may well be clutching at straws, but at this point I
reckon you've not go much to lose by trying swapping a cable for a new
one, or trying the drive in a different port on the mobo.

--
 Regards  _
He looked the wrong way at a policeman