Re: [LUG] OT: MS security whitewash

True. But to extend the argument, are you suggesting that because a
government department has access to the source code they therefore
obtained a version of MS software that did not have the security flaws,
or that they used software knowing that the backdoors existed and that
they themselves were knowingly (rather than inadvertently) in breach of
the data protection act?

It may be that HMG could claim crown immunity, but what about all the
other organisations who purchase software - schools, hospital trusts,
employers holding personal information about their employees in payroll
software etc.

Being able to audit the source code is not really the issue. The issue
is that MS software is known (or at least strongly suspected) to have a
"break encryption and report to NSA" function, but Linux is not known to
have this "feature" (although it might). Therefore data controllers have
a duty to prevent information covered by the data protection act being
stored on a computer running MS software (I think).

Phil