Re: [LUG] OT: MS security whitewash

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013, Philip Hudson wrote:
I'm sure nobody on this list was fooled for a second by EvilCorp's recent security whitewash "announcement", but in case you need to give a detailed rebuttal to anybody, here's the good old FSF:

https://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-responds-to-microsofts-privacy-and-encryption-announcement

Calling free software a "solution" against NSA backdoors, as the FSF does, suggests that they have no idea about the kind of backdoors that the agency uses.

There are very strong arguments to be made in favour of open source software following the Snowden leaks, and I wish more people would make them, but calling it a solution agains the backdoors is pure PR - and pretty bad PR too.

(Whether the software is "free" is mostly irrelevant in this discussion.)

Martijn.