Re: [LUG] Server got hacked

On 25/11/2013 14:38, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:19:07 -0500
Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Matt,

Is there any reason to allow root SSH access at all?

My use case isn't for servers, but I find SSH root access useful for
maintaining my wife and kids' computers;  When I need to do updates or
maintenance they don't whine about it(1). That's always nice.   :-)

(1) Usually, they don't even know I'm doing it.

But even then you could in theory restrict SSH and login as a normal user and SU to root or use sudo?

Rob