Re: [LUG] Fibre broadband

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Neil Winchurst wrote:

In Holsworthy we are getting fibre to the cabinet set up. It is well on the way, the new cabinets are installed and BT have reached the testing stage. In fact the latest news is that it should be ready next month. So I have been looking it up on Google etc.

I am now a bit puzzled. My current ISP does provide it and in fact the monthly payment is less than I pay now. However they have a one off set up fee of £102. The note about it says that this includes 'arranging for an engineer to visit my house to install the service'.

I have looked at other ISP's and, while prices and set ups vary, there does not seem to be any mention of sending anyone to the house or any payment for it.

Also, a bit annoying, some of them want to set up a 'package' which includes the phone rental, calls etc. And, if I don't want to have this, they will charge extra for my not having it included.

So at the moment I am very confused. Can anyone clarify the situation for me please?

BT are trialling self-installs, but for the most part, they (BT OpenReach) send an engineer to your house, change out the existing NTE5 for a new one which includes a whole house filter AND they install a modem as part of the package. You need to provide a router as the modem presents a PPPoE connection on Ethernet which the router has to deal with.

And personally, having seen the utter shit that some people do to their own installs, wiring, connections, etc. I think its a good thing. For now.

As for the "bundles" - that's the holy-grail for "utility companies" - provide everything from phone to broadband, TV, gas, electricity, etc.

I don't agree with this and like to pick and choose, but it's up to you. You do not have to take the bundles, you can put your money elsewhere - its your money - spend it as you wish.

Gordon