Re: [LUG] PI updates

On 06/11/2013 11:38, Paul Sutton wrote:

I have just run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

on my pi,  not done this for a while and its my new pi, so a fresh image
and only had the pi a few weeks,  anyway,  the above process took ages
due to pulling in lots of new packages / updates so if you have not
updated for a while you may want to look in to doing an update.

it seems to pull in some packages for piface too

all i wanted to do was install nmap.

Paul

You might have just got away with doing

sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install nmap

Still it's nice to keep it up to date. If you have multiple Pis then you could always install Squid to act as a proxy server to cache the updates or that other program that caches apt updates to a storage device for installing offline.

Rob