Re: [LUG] Mint 15: Automount DVD post re-install of Mint

On 03/11/13 15:07, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I've had to reinstall Mint - Grub collapsed and rendered the system unbootable - and everything is now working again, except the DVD which as you know I was having issues with previously. However the problem is now worse as the drive will now not mount /at all/ whereas previously it was just random.

At the suggestion of a friend I tried with an external USB drive and that behaved perfectly - ignored the drive until I inserted a DVD and then asked what I wanted to do with it.

lshw with external drive connected:

julian@Cerce ~ $ sudo lshw -C disk
[sudo] password for julian:
  *-disk
       product: SAMSUNG HD103SI
       physical id: 0.1.0
       bus info: scsi@3:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 1AG0
       serial: S1VSJ9BSA08425
       size: 931GiB (1TB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=12477ae0
  *-cdrom
       product: CDDVDW SE-S084F
       vendor: TSSTcorp
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/cdrom1
       logical name: /dev/cdrw1
       logical name: /dev/dvd1
       logical name: /dev/dvdrw1
       logical name: /dev/sr0
       version: TS00
       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
       configuration: status=open

lshw without without external drive - I believe it /should/ be listing my internal drive.

julian@Cerce ~ $ sudo lshw -C disk
  *-disk
       product: SAMSUNG HD103SI
       physical id: 0.1.0
       bus info: scsi@3:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 1AG0
       serial: S1VSJ9BSA08425
       size: 931GiB (1TB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=12477ae0

Is the fact that it is a BluRay drive - a Pioneer BDXL - a problem?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Kind regards,

Julian

I never like when the computer calls me a liar...

Rebooted into Windows on the same PC, recognised the disk as expected and autoplayed it. Rebooted back into Mint with the DVD still inserted and for the first time since reinstalling the OS it has mounted the drive.

lshw now says:

julian@Cerce ~ $ sudo lshw -C disk
[sudo] password for julian:
  *-cdrom
       product: BD-RW   BDR-207M
       vendor: PIONEER
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/cdrom
       logical name: /dev/cdrw
       logical name: /dev/dvd
       logical name: /dev/dvdrw
       logical name: /dev/sr0
       logical name: /media/julian/MIAMI_VICE_SEASON3_DISC06
       version: 1.21
       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=77,iocharset=utf8 state=mounted status=ready
     *-medium
          physical id: 0
          logical name: /dev/cdrom
          logical name: /media/julian/MIAMI_VICE_SEASON3_DISC06
configuration: mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=77,iocharset=utf8 state=mounted
  *-disk
       product: SAMSUNG HD103SI
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 1AG0
       serial: S1VSJ9BSA08425
       size: 931GiB (1TB)
       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
       configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=12477ae0

It has mounted /dev/sr0 to /media/julian/MIAMI_VICE_SEASON3_DISC06 as it's supposed to, however I still do not understand why it won't do it consistently.

Julian