[ Date Index ]
[ Thread Index ]
[ <= Previous by date /
[ Next by date /
thread => ]
Re: [LUG] Server Conf + VCS - Bad Idea?
- To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [LUG] Server Conf + VCS - Bad Idea?
- From: Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 19:58:41 +0000
- Delivered-to: dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=20120113; h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references :in-reply-to:content-type; bh=OyMAugpyByARIXVZzMCr/mXPAMDo747jTFaiJMxVbB8=; b=LozNOXWa8e2ODZCrQYa/kwLDnsetflasZ9jJERv6mSEyOr0udzwm7JNSQLvCda1A55 cT5Xr9ggNqFm06bfMRQgsqH72w236s/jtjS0vqI5dxcVmh7jLj12jc/HRZnXKtGl7aY2 +WabukU1NjJ/PUuEJdPBkwgg0awmI6bdNgURe5rAlz+px5hAb0bpGSEwf5rGEC06HmC4 I0vfbjSBHPneODSPsNMQ1hFnctqt4gBsbbzVRszrJJL44Fryarb1p1RYM0gQ73Vld75/ xA6GuafZOzYIrDvO6SuqEwyjLyY2EZLe3OgtdP66OCMilvqBAiKfddMQUiBFbyjjvNbf MWSg==
On 02/11/13 19:01, Gibbs wrote:
I work in web development and will have to migrate all of our
websites to a new dedicated server at some point (I've been
meaning to do this for ages). This has naturally got me thinking
about different approaches to managing things, one of them the
idea of using a VCS for managing config files.
Its an idea I play with all the time but you ideally need some form
of transaction safe method of version control - I'm guessing you
need more than 1 file changed at a time? So you do the file
updates/backtracks and then need to run a script to do renames?
As things stand we SSH in, make changes/additions and most of the
time none of us break things :). The VCS idea that has been
floating around in my head goes something like this:
- Most devs are familiar with a VCS like Git
- Changes are done locally (unfortunately I am the only Linux
- Changes have to be pushed then pulled giving time to review
- Obviously version control
- Easier for everything to be reviewed on multiple OS's
- Possibly a more streamlined approach
This would only apply to things such as Apache virtual hosts,
BIND zones and important core services.
Now all I need to know is why that is a horribly bad idea or
why I have never bothered to consider the issue before!
Tom te tom te tom
The Mailing List for the Devon & Cornwall LUG