Re: [LUG] Installing Open Office in Mint 15

On 31/10/13 18:51, Julian Hall wrote:
> Also Libre insists every file is locked by another user which is a menace as well.

I think the locks come from hidden files (with a leading ".") in the
same directory as the file.  For example, I created a document test.odt
and, when it's open in an active LO, I can see:

mgg@localhost:/tmp# ls -la
-rw-------.  1 mgg  mgg    93 Oct 31 20:39 .~lock.test.odt#
-rw-------.  1 mgg  mgg  8.2K Oct 31 20:39 test.odt

When LO closes down cleanly, it removes these files.  They can get left
if there's a crash or if they're copied elsewhere along with the whole
directory while LO is open.

You probably have these hidden files alongside your documents from a
previous edit by another user.  Delete those and it'll probably shut up.

> Anyway, I've downloaded the DEBs for Open Office 4.0 and installed them
> all the way up to the desktop-integration part and that's where it falls
> over:

> Where do I look to find out what the 'Errors' are please?

This bit here ->

> dpkg: error processing openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0-9714_all.deb
> (--install):
>  trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package
> libreoffice-common 1:4.0.2-0ubuntu1

This probably means you need to remove libreoffice first, if you want to
have no errors on the OO install.  It may have worked anyway, though I'd
guess "soffice" would run libreoffice at present.

Cheers,

Mike.