Re: [LUG] Router question

On 23/10/13 21:06, damian brown wrote:

On 21 October 2013 15:33, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have had my router, Netgear D634G, since May 2010. Recently I have
experienced some odd problems. Sometimes, as tested on speedtest.net, it
will show up as very slow download rates. Most of the time the speed is
around 12 Mb/s, but sometimes it suddenly drops as low as 3 Mb/s. There does
not seem to be much of a pattern but it is usually low in the early
afternoon, but not every day.

This shows up as a failure to run a Youtube video for example which will
give a message that 'an error has occurred'. Sometimes, perhaps an hour
later, it will all run fine. Yes, I have reset the router, that is I have
switched it off for 30 minutes or so and then turned it on again. This has
not made any difference.

So my question is, do routers sometimes just start to wear out? There are no
moving parts in it so I can't think why, but what do I know? I also have a
laptop, obviously using the same router, and the symptoms are the same, so I
think that I can rule out desktop computer problems.

If the advice is to replace it then any recommendations would be gratefully
received.

Thanks

Neil

> my sky hub does the same thing (its a netgear inside). stupid question
> have you restarted the router and does the problem go away thats what
> fixed mine

Yes, I do try switching the router off for a while, say 30 minutes, and then restarting it. This does work fine at first, but the next day it is back to the same old problem. What I don't understand is that sometimes it is just fine, often in the evenings for example.

Neil