Re: [LUG] rescuing data from windows 8 acer machine with efi boot

On 14/10/13 12:58, Rob Beard wrote:

Although it's not much use at the moment, for future reference maybe
your friend might want to consider backup options, possibly a couple of
external hard drives, or even something like Google
Drive/Dropbox/Microsoft Skydrive etc (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if
Windows 8 had an option to backup to Skydrive).  At least that way if
anything happens to the laptop chances are they'd have a backup of the
important stuff (yep, I've learnt that the hard way).

If using such services it's important to work out if "data loss" or "data disclosure" is going to be most damaging to you. Best to assume that anything you ever put on any of the services listed is available to a largish group of people and individuals.