Re: [LUG] Esxi and USB drobo

Upgrading to the latest version of esxi has sorted my USB issue, drobo's are now visible to the vm's

Simon Redmond <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cheers was kinda thinking that might be the result, could I use a rasberrypi and share the drobo's out on the network and access them that way, much cheaper alternative than a droboshare device

Grant Phillips-Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 8 Oct 2013 13:45, "Simon Redmond" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has any experience with VmWares esxi and USB mass storage? I have an esxi server running a Ubuntu 12.04 server and oracle Linux 6. I also have a drobo with 2tb of hard disk space that I want to use a local backup, but I can't seem to make the drobo visible to the guests. I've enabled the USB controller in the vm setup but can't see the USB in either of the guests. It's esxi version 4, I realise it's not the latest version is it something that's fixed in version 5?

My only experience of Esxi was in 2008. I found that although it could see the usb devices, it would not access them, even though it had all the correct tools in place, it wouldn't.

Grant