Re: [LUG] Another hard disk question

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Simon Avery wrote:
Would need a little more info.

1. Is this to go in addition to your existing hard drive, or to replace it? (Space or speed!)

Replace it. That is, make it the main drive - leave the other included for the time being as a secondary drive.

2. Do you know if your motherboard supports Pata or Sata.

I'm sure it's SATA. (It's a 4-year-old Dell. But I'll double check, just in case.)

3. Then - what do you want? If speed is your thing and it's sata, then SSD will knock your socks off. If it's space, then it would be worth trying to spot the motherboard's model number printed on it somewhere and check for compatibility - some bioses may have problems with the larger drives. What size do you have in mind?

1 or 2 TB or so. Ideally 2 so that I don't have to worry about storage space at all. Motherboard should be able to handle that but, again, I'll double check to make sure.

Given my wishes for the size, and given my budget, I probably won't go for an SSD, much as that would be dead cool.

Thanks!

Martijn.