Re: [LUG] GNU turn thirty!

On 28/09/13 21:02, Philip Hudson wrote:
Here's RMS' original post, in glorious green-screen: http://article.olduse.net/771@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 28 September 2013 17:51, Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    In case there's anyone who didn't see this...

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: *Free Software Foundation* <info@xxxxxxx <mailto:info@xxxxxxx>>
    Date: 28 September 2013 02:56
    Subject: GNU turn thirty!
    To: Philip Hudson <phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:phil.hudson@xxxxxxxxx>>

    GNU logo <https://www.gnu.org/gnu30/>Dear Philip,

    Can you believe it? The GNU system is thirty years old today!

    In 1983, Richard Stallman launched the free software movement with
    the words, "Free Unix!" We've freed a lot more than that in the
    last thirty years. The GNU system is now a vast universe of fully
    free operating systems, window managers, and software that serves
    almost every imaginable purpose. More than 95 percent of the
    world's supercomputers run free software. A majority of web
    servers run free software. Even more impressive, there are
    estimated to be tens of millions of free software users worldwide.

    That's a lot to celebrate. This weekend, the Free Software
    Foundation will be honoring thirty years of GNU with a celebration
    and hackathon in Cambridge, MA
    <https://gnu.org/gnu30/celebration>. Around the world, there are
    over eighteen celebrations <https://gnu.org/gnu30/> planned on
    almost every inhabited continent. And online, people are showing
    their love for GNU by embedding the special 30th anniversary badge
    <https://gnu.org/gnu30/> on their websites and donating to support
    GNU's future work <https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom>.

    Please join us in the celebration:

        * Watch the livestream from the Cambridge celebration
          <http://live.fsf.org/gnu30.ogv> to see John Sullivan speak
          at 10am EDT (14:00 UTC) and Richard Stallman speak live at
          5pm EDT (21:00 UTC) on Saturday, September 28.
        * Find the celebration <https://gnu.org/gnu30/> nearest you.
        * Embed the special 30th anniversary badge
          <https://gnu.org/gnu30/>.
        * Donate <https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom> to
          keep GNU going strong for another thirty years.

    Happy Hacking,

    The entire Free Software Foundation team

-- Follow us at https://status.fsf.org/fsf | Subscribe to our blogs
    via RSS at http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS
    Join us as an associate member at http://fsf.org/jf

    Sent from the Free Software Foundation,

    51 Franklin Street
    Fifth Floor
    Boston, MA 02110-1335
    United States

I was 4 years old when it all kicked off!

I am loving his original email Phil. How historic!

Thank you
Roly :-)