Re: [LUG] Separate Home Partition

On 05/09/13 19:24, bad apple wrote:
> On 05/09/13 18:59, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> A little while ago I bought a new laptop. It was my first time with
>> uefi and I had a few problems because it came with secure boot enabled
>> and Win 8 (trial version only) installed. I had to call the help line
>> to get that sorted. With all that going on I forgot to set up a
>> separate partition for home.
>>
>> Now I am wondering if there is a way to change the partitioning so
>> that I can have home separate while keeping the data intact. I have
>> done some research. Plenty of advice about using gparted when
>> installing a new distro but I cannot find anything about moving home
>> intact to its own separate partition. Perhaps it can't be done?
>>
>> The idea is that, when I move to a newer version of my distro, I can
>> just install the root files but keep my home files untouched. Is that
>> feasible please?
>>
>> Or am I being over optimistic? If so I will remember to get it right
>> next time!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil
>>
> Hey, this is the helpline isn't it?
>
> You can definitely do this post-install, whether or not it's a good idea
> I'll leave as a discussion for others. I'm also not touching the "is it
> good practice to have a separate home partition" issue either, as you
> seem to have decided what you want to do and who am I to argue.
>
> So, here we go:
>
> 0: Backup everything you care about
> 1: Boot a live distro (ideally gparted*)
> 2: Repartition your / partition down to whatever you like
> 3: Create new partition for /home in the empty space
> 4: Before rebooting, mount your old / partition and your new /home rw on
> your live system
> 5: Edit the mounted /etc/fstab** file from your mounted hard drive to
> reflect change
> 6: Move the entire /home from your old / to your new /home
> 7: Unmount all drives, reboot
>
> * gparted from http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
> ** editing fstab can vary hugely between systems - broadly speaking on
> linux you can simply add a line like:
>
> /dev/sda4    /home    ext4    defaults    0    2
>
> You *will* need to edit this according to your specifications first
> though: don't blindly put /dev/sda4 when your partition ID will probably
> be different, and don't use ext4 as the fs type if it's incorrect,
> obviously. Personally I would edit the options from default to at least
> "errors=remount-ro,user_xattr" and don't forget to add "discard" if
> you're using a SSD. The "/home" and "0 2" parts will be correct for you
> though.
>
> On *buntu-style systems, you shouldn't really refer to partitions by
> their old /dev/sdX notation anyway: run "sudo blkid" and it will spit
> out UUIDs for you to use instead, like so:
>
> ghost@failbot:~$ sudo blkid
> [sudo] password for ghost:
> /dev/sda1: UUID="8bc2d3fe-351a-45ff-868d-8a152bbd0b72" TYPE="ext4"
> [...]
Are you ok for me to put these instructions as a blog post on the lug
website, looking for stuff to add to the blog that is useful / interesting

Can credit as BadApple if you want

http://dcglug.drogon.net/

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Software freedom day event - 21st September 2013  - http://exeter.lug.org.uk/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.