Re: [LUG] Out of memory )-:

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Tom wrote:

What I meant re the BCD is converting maths done in BCD to maths done in binary so the data store is smaller!

Ah yes. And packed arrays in Pascal and COBOL...

You did see the link re the sinclair scientific calculator I sent on friday?

Yes. Pretty amazing. I nearly bought one of those too.

The trouble with computing these days is there is so much more power and storage that newcomers to programming dont realise that its been done before and probably better. We are not far from the point where those that know - people who have 20 years or so coding experience and are prepared to try and do things properly - will leapfrog the hackers simply because in order to maintain productivity in complex code you will have to play by the rules.

Shh.. I can make money out of re-coding some of their efforts ;-)

Gordon