Re: [LUG] Next Microsoft CEO?

On 4 Sep, 2013, at 4:26 pm, bad apple wrote:

On 04/09/13 16:04, Philip Hudson wrote:
On 4 Sep, 2013, at 3:08 pm, Matt Lee wrote:

it would be nice to know that we'd have
something like 95% worldwide free software adoption.

Do we not already? Proprietary is just a thin layer over FLOSS these
days.

That will be unexpected news to the engineers working on AIX, MVS,
z/OS/zVM, iOS (Cisco, not Apple), JuniperOS, OpenVMS... even the windows
guys will be surprised!

True. The surprise derives from my correctness. That always surprises everyone, for some reason. :-<

We've come a long way since the windows TCP/IP
stack was lifted wholesale from BSD you know...

I've never understood how the BSD license survived that, let alone prospered. GPL it you numpties.

Open source is indeed everywhere these days but I think your argument
kind of understates the millions (billions? trillions?) lines of code
born in entirely proprietary shops all over the world.

Zero percent of the world's code, to a first approximation, and diminishing fast as a proportion. Even less when observed as a function of user activity, which is 100% (again TOAFA) FLOSS-on-FLOSS- on-proprietary-on-FLOSS-on-FLOSS-on-FLOSS today, with a lot of FLOSS on the orthogonal edges too.

We won, and we didn't even notice. Hooray for us.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63