Re: [LUG] Arch Sucks - Was: Blind users

On 30 August 2013 09:36, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I hate almost everything about Arch: pacman sucks, the AUR repository
> system sucks, the forums suck. The only good thing I have to say about

pacman is sane compared to Debian's dpkg.
AUR is really nice. Something I fealt that was missing from Debian. A
sane way to get contributed packaging. PKGBUILD is so much nicer that
the myriad of Debian cruft.
Forums do suck. I don't use them. I wish there was a mailing list, but
it would probably degenerate to debian-user levels of usefulness.

If I want help, I use the IRC channel.

You must admit https://wiki.archlinux.org/ is the best.

> it is that it boots preposterously fast. I love the way that they
> randomly deprecate stuff (ifconfig > ip) and then just casually post in
> their stupid website "announcements" section - "yeah, hey ho, we've
> probably just broken all your scripts LOL". I love the way they've only
> just got their heads around package signing, and it's still not

I don't care for package signing
http://natalian.org/archives/2012/01/18/Archlinux_Pacman_GPG/

> mandatory (morons). My non-testing, i.e., allegedly "stable" Arch VM
> overwrote it's own grub2 configs again today, resulting in me having to
> boot it from the prompt and fix it manually.

Don't use grub2. Use syslinux. Reject bloatware.

> Any Arch users (Kai is a fan I think) want to defend their distro of
> choice? Convince me I'm wrong please, because I'd love to put a bullet
> in it. Don't even get me started on yaourt.

Archlinux caters to the clueful. :-) Use `cower` not yaourt.

I love Archlinux. Now running it on sg.webconverger.com, a
non-critical server. http://webconverger.org/servers/