Re: [LUG] Arch Sucks - Was: Blind users

On 30/08/13 17:42, Simon Waters wrote:
> Version 1 syndrome? It is easy to fork Debian, create some newer
> packages, and/or run a more lack view of copyright or freedom, and
> have a distro. It is slightly more work to maintain it, and no where
> near as much fun. So most distros end up trailing behind the Debian
> they forked from. Debian tried to help that with PureBlends, not sure
> how successful it was. Maybe if Debian had a release which would adopt
> stuff quicker people might be more motivated to contribute there, but
> it is a role mostly fulfilled by "testing" . Perhaps if we renamed
> "testing" as "exciting" people would use it more, and worry less that
> they don't understand the name, and it wouldn't be any worse than Arch
> by the sounds of it.

That's actually not a bad idea - people tend to shy away from Debian
Testing as they presume it's going to be a dangerously unstable proving
ground for new technology... whereas in actuality, it's still a very
stable, conservative system. I've never had a Debian Testing distro
completely collapse on me (although even I no longer try to maintain a
Sid install as my main OS - I have done several times before, and
although it's great fun, eventually Sid *will* turn around and bite you
hard).

Trust me, nothing in the Linux world is worse than Arch. I think I've
probably admined every single distro out there by this point (except
SparkyLinux apparently!), rolled my own LFS versions, the lot: faced
with a Win8 box or an Arch one, I'd unhesitatingly jump on the windows
machine, install cygwin, and be off and running seconds later. Hell, I'd
rather use a Mac than an Arch system and that is really saying something.

For fun I just googled "Arch sucks" and read through the first page of
so of results - hugely amusing and highly recommended. Nearly every
single one revolves around a horror story regarding updates killing
systems without warning, and sensible people jumping ship to something
sane. One guy even switched from Arch to OpenBSD *because it was
easier*. Just let that sink in for a second... if you ever find yourself
compiling -current from CVS on an OpenBSD machine thinking, "Ah, that's
better", then whatever system you have just jumped from must have been
truly, spectacularly awful.

Regards

PS: slightly disappointed that no Arch fans have jumped in to defend it
- would be nice to hear something from the other side of the argument in
the interest of fairness