Re: [LUG] Arch Sucks - Was: Blind users

On 30/08/13 17:11, Rhia Knowles wrote:
> I used Arch until they switched to systemv with no warning. Its not stable
> any more and thats a shame because I loved the AUR and the fact I could
> only install what I needed to make the system, rather then having to have
> cinnamon because thats what the distro makers like, as well as LXDE because
> thats what I like....
>
> Currently using Sparkylinux which is basically a debian distro for gamers
> (Especially if you go for the gameover edition, which has built in steam
> and playonlinux)

"I used Arch until they switched to systemv with no warning."

And that's *exactly* what I'm talking about... one update later, and
suddenly your entire system is completely hosed. You will find yourself
on a second machine, looking at the Arch homepage and right there in the
announcements section will be "switching to systemv and ruining your
life HAHA LOL", with a link to a random forum page with half-arsed
instructions on how to avoid complete destruction. Which will be too
late, because no sane person or distro drops crazy stuff like that on
you without warning. Arch has all of the pain of a bleeding edge testing
distro like a stage 1 Gentoo install, and none of the fun. I mean, if
you are ever seriously comparing any distro against a hardcore Gentoo
install and finding the Gentoo system *easier* and *safer*, then
something has gone catastrophically wrong.

Hmm, SparkyLinux eh - I learn something every day. And judging by the
site, it looks like it's been made by Polish people - which is good
news, because that probably means it will work properly. I'm going to
pull it down on a VM and give it a quick spin, but like all other
Debian-derived systems, I'm not quite sure why I'd use them over, well,
just installing Debian. So it's got Enlightenment, Mate, RazorQT, LDXE
and OpenBox DEs available - splendid. That's nearly as many as stock
Debian. And it has wine. Like Debian. Every time I install one of these
Debian spins I'm always impressed for about 5 minutes, and then I find
something that was in Debian but that aren't in the derived version and
find myself thinking "why the hell didn't I just install Debian in the
first place?" Actually, why did the people who made this spin in the
first place just install Debian themselves?

Ah well, choice is a good thing I suppose. Just remember, if you chose
Arch, you chose wrong.

Regards