Re: [LUG] Laptop CPU etc power consumption

On 16/08/13 10:58, tom wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone knows how much power an average laptop cpu
> and memory.
> And if its over 5W anyone want to help me stick a parallella board in
> a laptop?
> Tom te tom te tom

Seems like it would be a natural fit for this:

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=2686

I don't fancy your chances of retrofitting one of those inside any
normal laptop though (although I for one would certainly be up for
helping you *try* to... I mean, why not?)

So have you actually got yours delivered yet, you're one of the early
backers aren't you - I've been following the Paralella stuff quite
closely myself, although I'm not buying until they're more proven, and
I'm not interested in anything less than at least the 64 core version.

As things stand the cost/performance ratio is still very heavily tipped
towards the 1U rackable boxes stuffed with high end graphics cards* or
Intel Phi coprocessors my employers tend to favour, mostly because
they're fully matured and have integrated development stacks for getting
real work done on them, right now. But if Paralella can keep upping the
corecount and lowering the price who knows in a few years?

Regards

* technically they're actually compute cards and don't even have monitor
outputs, but you know what I mean.