Re: [LUG] Alpine's copy-to-address-to-from-if-it-is-us and mailing lists

hi martin.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013, Martijn Grooten wrote:
I use Alpine with a bunch of different addresses for the twenty-odd
mailing lists I've subscribed to. Because I've shown today I can't
be trusted when it comes to manually changing the From-address for
every email I send, I've looked into Alpine doing that
automatically.

there was a time when the only method of altering the from: header i
knew was to change the default value.

i would, of course, usually forget to change it back to a suitable
default.

There actually is an option

copy-to-address-to-from-if-it-is-us

that changes the From address to whatever was in the To (or Cc)
field, assuming it is one of my addresses. Which is great in theory,
but in practise To in list messages tends to be the list address.

Any ideas on how I can have the same effect with list emails?

i would go to ...

 menu > setup > r(ules) > r(oles)

... and check out the help screen there.

a preview:

You may play different roles depending on who you are replying to. For
example, if you are replying to a message addressed to help-desk you
may be acting as a Help Desk Worker. That role may require that you
use a different return address and/or a different signature.

Roles are optional. If you set up roles they work like this: Each role
has a set of "Uses", which indicate whether or not a role is eligible
to be considered for a particular use; a "Pattern", which is used to
decide which of the eligible roles is used; and a set of "Actions",
which are taken when that role is used. When you reply to a message,
the message you are replying to is compared with the Patterns of the
roles marked as eligible for use when replying. The comparisons start
with the first eligible role and keep going until there is a match. If
a match is found, the matching role's Actions are taken.

hth,
wes