Re: [LUG] Simple photoblog

On 02/08/13 20:28, Simon Waters wrote:
PHP updates since 5.3 also cause issues with older code. Have to say PHP imposes a
fair maintenance load on developers by trying to fix up issues in the language by
removing stuff.

That said most of these things are easy to fix, often you can sort them with search
and replace in text editors.

More problematic with old PHP code can be if it has poor design from a security
perspective. Not saying this is true of pixelpost but there are vulnerability
reports against the latest public release, so I wouldn't want to run it.

Thanks, it looks as though the info I was given is correct. Even if a program is working as planned and so doesn't need upgrades/changes it seems that it is still a good idea to look out for changes to any required programs, eg PHP, mysql. Simply leaving it to its own devices may not work.

That is why I worry about any packages I use which are no longer being maintained.

Neil