Re: [LUG] Kindle, DRM and Linux

yes I tried calibre and the de-drm plugins under linux and could not get them to work. For a start the kindle reader for PC is needed and I couldn't get it to run under wine (regular or crossover office). My solution is also a virtual machine, the only thing I use windows for.
I have the kindle reader and calibre with plugins installed on virtual box. Calibre's library directory is a shared folder with my linux install of calibre, "home/whoever/Calibre library". So once the book is imported into calibre I shut down windows, open the linux version and there are my books.

Are you importing your books direct from the kindle? Can your file manager actually "see" the relevant bits of the android file system?

Of course you could turn your kindles into ordinary android tablets, which would give you a greater choice of readers, aldiko is good. There are a few solutions out there for this and it's easy to convert back to being a kindle again if you decide it's not for you.

I download my books to a kindle, connect to Calibre and then import into Calibre which removes the DRM. My Calibre runs under Linux, Mint 14 with Cinammon. I've never tried to run the PC version of Kindle as I don't like reading books on a desktop. I could try reading on my Tablet but, again, I bought the Kindles, 2 3's and a 4, because of their excellent display and convenience. Turning them into Android would defeat the object for me. The long battery life and reading in bright light is what sold it to me

I have about 3000 paper books around the house and the Kindle is an effort to bring this under control. Having said that, the kindle is only good as a replacement for a straight forward read. Anything with, say, a map that you have to keep referring to is out. Also Terry Pratchett is very fond of footnotes which get moved to the end on the Kindle which makes it impractical. Jumping back and forth is not recommended. And it is black & white only.