Re: [LUG] Chocolatey

On 30/07/2013 20:54, bad apple wrote:
On 30/07/13 20:48, Simon Avery wrote:
** https://github.com/chocolatey/chocolatey/wiki

That. Looks. Awesome!

Normally I characterise evaluating this sort of stuff as a chore -
testing, etc. In this case, my 15 minutes so far with chocolatey could
more accurately be called "playing" - it's so simple, and useful. MS
should be throwing money at these people.

It can list/add/remove windows internal features (WMISnmpProvider, ISS
components, etc), call cyg-get to automate cygwin component
installation, effectively do apt-get update and install countless third
party packages from Firefox to Ruby, or install from a private repo,
just like apt. I don't know what pure Windows techies would make of it
but if you're a Linux-type who just has to support Windows sometimes,
it's completely intuitive.

Looks like I'll be buying my .NET Linux-pessimist friend a couple of
beers for the heads up on this - best 3rd party windows tool ever!

Regards

* obviously not affiliated, blah blah

I don't normally post from my work e-mail but this looks like just the thing I could use. I've been looking at application deployment on Windows and while there seems to be MSI installers for some stuff, other applications seem to be a combination of EXE installers or well... whatever crazy combination that Office 2010 uses. :-/

I'll certainly take a look at this. :-)

Rob